|Real name/Full name
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|2021: Won Tech Leader of the Year at Vogue Women of The Year
|Date of Birth
|In the year, 1970
|Age (as of 2021)
|IIT Kharagpur, The Ohio State University
|Hindu – Brahmin
|Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
Masters in Science
|• On 1 March 2020, Shar was declared the CEO of Match Group. After then, rumours started circulating in the market that why the former CEO, Mandy Ginsberg, stepped down from her position. Mandy later gave a statement,”Just last Friday, I had to have another surgery due to an FDA recall of the implants, because they have been linked to cancer. “It’s been a lot to handle. And while I expect to have a clean bill of health, short term I need to take care of myself and so will take some time off this year to do just that.”
|Relationships & More
|Father- Mechanical Engineering Professor
Mother- Not Known
|Net Worth (approx.)
|$8.31 Million dollars as of 13 May 2020
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shar Dubey
- Shar Dubey is the Chief Executive Officer of the Match Group (Brand Portfolio) that operates online dating sites like Tinder, Match, Meetic, OkCupid, Hinge, Pairs, Our Time, and PlentyofFish. She is known as one of the most powerful women and she has won Tech Leader of the Year at Vogue Women of The Year 2021.
- When she was doing Engineering, Sundar Pichai was one of her classmates.
- In an interview, she shared the struggles of her college days and said,
When I went to IIT back in the late ’80s or early ’90s, I was the only girl in my class for most of the years that I was there, it was hard to be the only girl in a class of 80 to 100 boys. There was no women’s bathroom in the school building where I went to study, so every time I needed to use the restroom, I had to run a mile and a half to the dorm. There was only one dorm for girls, and that was the only place I could go. Moreover, No one would sit next to me in class—even my lab partner would not show up for projects because he was uncomfortable that I was a girl.”
- After facing a lot of problems in college days, one day, she decided to quit college. Then a girl (two years senior to her) of her college said,
If you quit, you’re the only one that’s going to lose. So grit it up.”
- Dubey’s parents supported her a lot throughout her studies. While discussing her childhood she said,
My parents never thought I should be raised differently than my brother. My dad always said: “The first thing you’ve got to do is learn to stand on your own two feet. It doesn’t matter after that. Everything else is sort of easy.”
- Shar do not believe in arranged marriages. She herself met Partha Ragunathan (Dubey’s Husband) at her first job, where they both fell in love and got married after completing their graduation.
- After completing graduation, Shar worked in a Steel company and saved money to buy an airline ticket, and to pay the application fees for her postgraduation at The Ohio State University.
- After completing her grad school, she started a job in an aerospace company in Philadelphia, where she was the first female engineer and the first employee to be hired out of the country.
- Before joining the Match Group, Shar worked with i2 Technologies in Dallas.
- In 2006, Mandy Ginsberg, the then General Manager of the Match Group, contacted Shar to fill the place of company’s product engineer. Initially, Shar refused the proposal, but after some days, she called up Mandy and said, “I will do it.”
- Shar joined The Match Group in 2006, and from 2006 to 2021, she held several posts in the company as the President of Match Group Americas overseeing all product, engineering, and revenue functions at the portfolio’s domestic brands, Chief Product Officer of Match, and Chief Product Officer and EVP of The Princeton Review. She also served as Chief Operating Officer of Tinder and an EVP of tutor.com from 2013- 2014. She was declared the CEO of The Match Group on March 1, 2021.
- In an interview, Dubey, CEO of the company, shared her way of working and said,
I don’t manage people. I manage the problem. I manage the process. I never manage people. Building trust equity is the most challenging work as the CEO. It was an advantage for me when I became C.E.O., because I had been at the company a long time. But there were a lot more people that I’d never met. And if you don’t meet folks over time, the longer you’re stuck with not meeting in person, that trust equity gets harder and harder.”
- Lockdown was imposed in America a few days after Shar joined the company. In the lockdown period, no one was allowed to meet and as a result, there was a sharp decline in almost every metric across all our platforms of the company. To avoid the company’s loss, Shar introduced video features in all the apps, so that people can meet and interact through video calls.
- In 2021, Tinder showed the most love connections and longer conversations. Also, Economic Times revealed that the total revenue of the Match Group jumped by 23%.
- She also campaigned against the Texas Abortion Law. She said,
As a Texas resident, I am shocked that I now live in a state where women’s reproductive laws are more regressive than most of the world, including India. The Match Group generally doesn’t take a political stand, but I personally, as a woman in Texas, could not keep silent.”
Dubey also raised funds for the employees of the Match Group, who are affected by the Texas Abortion law. Later, she cleared that the funds were provided by her only and not by the company.
- Mahindra Group Chairman, Anand Mahindra, praised Shar Dubey for turning online dating games into a multibillion-dollar empire.
He shared New York Times article and wrote,
- She is often called the “Boss Of Romance.”
- Shar is also praised for being a humble leader and maintaining trust and transparency among co-workers.
- In an interview, while sharing what motivated her the most to enter into the world of online dating apps, she said,
Relationship makes one’s a better version of themselves. Relating it to her personal life she said, “I met my husband over 25 years ago and I absolutely think my life is better with him than it would be without him.”